Illusion Vale
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Illusion Vale

A place where writers go to make their visions come alive.

HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Diary of a Dragon

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales
GoldenDrakon

Male Number of posts : 1586

Diary of a Dragon Empty
PostSubject: Diary of a Dragon   Diary of a Dragon Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 6:34 am

**(OOC: This thread represents the private 'journal' for GoldenDrakon. The timeline follows continuously begining from his entrance to the Vale to the present time depending on the individual entry. Naturally, this is all private unless an individual's character manages to infiltrate GD's lair, find the manuscripts and reads them without being discovered, the information is not for IC use. Only reader entertainment)**

**(IC:)**

I do not remember things clearly anymore, or rather to say, it has become much more difficult to keep my memories straight anymore, hence I have begun to keep this journal. For my own reference if not my sanity. Since coming to this place, this Vale, many things have changed for me.

I am a dragon, I am a TrueBlood dragon of Earth and Spirit. I know this because this is what I am, even though I do not completely understand it. I remember things, things that I could not possibly have done. I know this because I know that I was never from the Vale, I was stolen away and brought here as so many of us here in the Vale were. I also know that I was not always a dragon. I remember that I was a man once. I remember fragments and pieces of my old life and my old world. I remember that I was a soldier, an Airman for the USAF, even though I cannot remember what the USAF is anymore. I remember that I am sworn in the defense of my country and my way of life. It was very important to me. But more than anything, I remember my wife and my son.

I cannot remember their names. Hell, I cannot even remember my own name, but their faces drift in the back of my mind and tease me in my dreams. I remember our wedding day, or at least parts of it. I remember making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for my son and a hundred other fragments. I loved them and I was happy. I must never forget them, I will not forget them.
I also remember the war. We are at war, or at least the USAF of my country is. I don’t remember much about it. It was always hot, very hot and I was always very busy. I worked with money and business, I am good with such things. The enemy were disgusting people who thrived on fear and suffering. They hide and use bombs to kill indiscriminately and fighting them was important. I do not remember much else, except that there was a roadblock, a car and then fire and noise. I think I am dead.

I woke up here in the Vale as a dragon, confused and very much alone. This Vale is a strange place and being a dragon is both exhilarating and terrifying. I have always loved dragons ever since I can remember. (as ironic as that may be) That I am one is like a fantasy come true. But it comes at a terrible price. My confusion remains, but as I stay here in this place, I remember and discover more and more about my draconic nature and heritage. I dream, and oh such dreams as I could not describe, but as I do, as I come to grips with what I have become, I find myself losing what I once was. It is more and more difficult to remember anything about my old life and world. It is easiest when I clear my thoughts, relax and meditate. Sometimes things come to me that I am able to muddle out. Sometimes too, I just blurt out the oddest things, usually when I am only half paying attention or daydreaming. If paper were not so damnably hard to get, I would make more notes. As it is, I only have these hidebound parchments to write on and home made ink. I hope it holds up through the years...I hope it doesn’t have to.

The empty holes in my memory are slowly filling. I remember things as a young dragon, but I was never a young dragon. I remember the lessons taught to me by other dragons, but there are no other dragons. I do not understand these things or why they do happen, but I have tested some of these ‘new memories’ and they have been correct so far, at least as far as I can test them. I have little choice but to follow this path and see where it leads. I cannot deny my own fascination and desire to know. I am a powerful creature, of that there is no doubt. The things I can do are incredible, and I know that I have a great ways to go still.

No matter what I might learn, no matter what I might discover or become. I must never forget who I was before coming to this place. I must never forget what is important to me. I must never forget them.
Back to top Go down
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales
GoldenDrakon

Diary of a Dragon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diary of a Dragon   Diary of a Dragon Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 8:50 pm

What is this place? Illusion Vale, so named by its self-proclaimed caretaker, Wraith, is accurately descriptive, for it is a true mystery. Are we dead and so this is the afterlife? Purgatory? Heaven and/or Hell or just some pocket in the universe? I don’t know and from what little I can gather, no one else does either. I do know that for whatever reason, we have all been brought here, most of us on what seems to be the moment of our death. All of us have been changed somehow upon our arrival. Wraith once told me that humans cannot survive in the vale. She had no explanation as to why this is, but to date there are no ‘humans’ in the Vale. All of us have become something else and those who LOOK human ... are not. There is no way for me to test this theory to determine if it is true or just something that happens to us all. From what little I have been able to gather, not all of them are from Earth! Many, possibly even the majority are from my own world, but not all. Even more intriguing, not all of them are even from the same time period. This bears more investigation in the future.

Why we become what we become is also a mystery. The people of the Vale are as varied and diverse as anything I have ever seen or can remember. A venerable cornucopia of fantasy creatures as broad as the mind can reach. I do NOT think it is random however. I think it is more like what we have always fantasized about becoming, what reflects in our subconscious. Perhaps we become what we were always meant to be or what our souls are closest to? Whatever it is, the people of the Vale must struggle to discover their new selves along with their new lives, just as I have.

Illusion Vale is a lush, green valley perhaps one hundred and twenty miles long and maybe seventy-five miles across, nestled between a mountain range to the North, which includes my own home, and some high plateaus to the South. Well water is abundant and the ground is rich for growing. I suspect that the land around us is also rich in mineral wealth just waiting to be tapped. Small lakes and ponds are here and there, fed by some sort of underground water source. There are no rivers in the Vale and no place to go if there were, for all around us there is nothing but desert wasteland. Illusion Vale is a perfect oasis amid a sea of sun scorched sand and rock; a double prison. We cannot leave this world to return home, and there is no place to go if we leave the Vale.

There is only one major settlement in Illusion Vale; Vale City. An unimaginative name and inaccurate to boot. There are only some three hundred people in the Vale, some have been here long enough to start families and have children borne into this world but most are more recent arrivals like myself. Some have made homes for themselves away from the others for whatever reasons, but most cluster together in the ‘city’ and around their equally mysterious shepard, Wraith. It makes sense enough, the Valians are the classic ‘hunter-gather’ society for the most part, depending on each other to survive in their new world. More Valians seem to be arriving every day however, and the first signs of a real community and hierarchy are beginning to form. Yo watch their forming sociology take shape is interesting, but I am an outsider. My presence among them is ‘disruptive’ to say the least and I have my own self-discovery to tend to.

Then there is Wraith. Ah, Wraith, caretaker, care giver and enforcer. What can I say about her that will make any sense, even to me? Best I start off with the basics; She stands about five foot four, long, black hair with red highlights and the most striking eyes. She is quite attractive and retains her human appearance, but like all people here, she is not human. She is a vampire. Fortunately, the people of the vale are not bound by stereotypes, she is no more a blood sucking, evil killer than I am a virgin eating, sacrifice demanding dragon. The legends do seem to hold some truth as she does drink blood, animal blood by her own decree and has any number of powers to include heightened speed and strength, fangs, claws and even the ability to read minds. She also excludes a powerful sexual aura which makes most swoon to her every beck and call. Whatever else she may be, she is the Vale’s ‘caretaker’. She knows instinctively when and where a new arrival will be coming, she knows every language in the Vale once she hears it and has been here since ‘the beginning’. Wraith has admitted to being nearly 350 years old and is somehow in tune with the very Vale itself. She once also mentioned that it was she who created Illusion Vale from the wasteland around us, but has been very tight lipped ever since. I do not think she truly wanted to mention that.

Wraith and I have ever only sat down and spoken maybe four times since my arrival here. I have absolutely nothing against her, in fact, I am highly appreciative to the kindness she showed me when I first arrived. She has helped practically every being who has come to the Vale and it was she who ‘deeded’ me the mountain I now live on. Still, I have come to realize that Wraith is the key to the mysteries here in Illusion Vale. She is both the First Prisoner and the Head Jailer. Secrets swirl behind her eyes and she has held back a great deal of information, even when directly asked. I have never caught her in a lie, but there are times when she can speak most eloquently, and say nothing at all. The quintessential politician.

The mysteries surrounding this world, our confinement, the Illusion Vale and its Caretaker are complex enigmas, and I am quickly coming to understand that since I am an outsider among the Valians below, I can keep my mind occupied by trying to solve these enigmas... and I may have a very, very long time to do so.
Back to top Go down
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales
GoldenDrakon

Diary of a Dragon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diary of a Dragon   Diary of a Dragon Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 6:20 pm

I have become extremely disappointed in the citizens of Vale City. It has become ever more clear to me that my presence among them is both unwelcome and unwanted. While the typical stereotypes that plague race relation do not exist here, we have all been transformed into new species after all, bigotry and ignorance are still rampant. This has appeared from time to time among the populace, for example, some have had very negative first impressions when encountering a ‘monster’ from their legends, only to find that said ‘monster’ is now their next door neighbor. Wraith has also expressed similar feelings when first encountering new arrivals. Vampire stories seldom show the vampire in a positive light and she must overcome that conditioning constantly.

I have not been so fortunate in my experiences and encounters. I have tried to ‘fit in’ and help wherever I can. The Vale has experienced an influx of new citizens recently. Vale City now has some 450 inhabitants as opposed to the 300 or so when I first started counting. This population explosion has caused a need for new space to settle and I thought I could help my fellow Valians while earning food in exchange. This has backfired on me horribly and only fueled rumors and mistrust among the populace. With the need to clear land, I was able to barter my services to help. I can move great boulders and rip out massive tree stumps effortlessly. Fell a row of trees with a swipe of my tail, clear brush land by breathing fire then smothering the flames with my bulk or directing wind with my wings. I can furrow the ground or dig trenches with my claws with ease. In fact, I have dug out and leveled an entire hill in a day. Hell, I'm a one-man Civil Engineering crew.

This display of my abilities has fostered a great deal of shock, fear, envy and even jealousy. Coupled by my sheer size and appearance has not improved my relationships with the people. Several Valians keep herds of local livestock for a variety of purposes. In the early days, it was for these animals that I bartered my services for. I have tried to be self conscious about eating near the population, but it seems I have had a hidden watcher of two. Since my becoming what I am, I have preferred my meat both raw and in bulk. Having someone who is either already distrusting of me or bigoted watch me devour half a dozen of these sheep creatures in a single setting has allowed the more hateful or exagerative people spin wild stories of what I -might- be able to do to creatures other than sheep if food became scarce or if I decided to just -take- this food, what could be done to stop me.

Simply put the people are afraid of me and what I can do, and suspicion, lies and hatred breed from fear.

To date, I have only encountered three people who did not show this bigotry; Wraith, Enrick, who has set himself up as the city’s smith and Renault, the city’s tanner and boot cobbler. Wraith has been far too busy to address the issue, if she is even aware of it but Enrick has assisted me in finding more work from time to time or as acting as a mediator for my transactions. Still, once the people learn that it is the nefarious ‘Golden Drakon’ on the other end of the transaction, business soon ends. My career in construction and engineering has come to an end, save for the odd job and even those are increasingly rare, but the people have not been able to exclude me entirely. I still have some goods that I trade, in fact, it is because of the bias against me that I discovered one of my hidden talents. I can alter my shape and appearance to appear as a winged human or some such hybrid creature. With so many new arrivals to the Vale, my altered shape has gone unnoticed. I have also weaned myself off the consumption of domestic animals in the vale. I hunt my own food, primarily the Flaringales that flock to my mountains. The Flaringales have also unwittingly become my staple trade good. Flaringales are horribly ugly bird-things but the adults each have three to five primary tail feathers which glitter and shine with a magnificent variety of reds, browns and orange hues. Beaks and talons can be used as tools and the skins can be cured for leather. Both Enrick and Renault are very interested in buying these from me when I offer them.

In any case, I have taken to avoiding the people although I observe them much more often that they know. I do not dare let my secret out though, as I am certain that this would only blossom into another lie and accusation for the hate-mongers to direct against me.

I fear that my social life in the Vale will be very bleak.
Back to top Go down
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales
GoldenDrakon

Diary of a Dragon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diary of a Dragon   Diary of a Dragon Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 6:00 am

It has been a slow day for hunting because of the rain. The Flaringales I first came to so dislike are now my most common companions. I cannot say that I like them, they are ugly, ill-tempered, mean-spirited, overly territorial and just plain nasty. I can say however, that I need the damnable things. I think they have always had nests in these mountains, but they have been migrating towards my home ever since I took up permanent residence here. Flaringales are naturally drawn to heat and fire and so it seems, to me. We have formed a love-hate relationship here in the mountains. They instinctively seek out the fire I can generate and I have even gone so far as to light small fires on some of the peaks and cliffs for them to consume. In return, the Flaringales have become my primary source of food and income. I harvest their tail feathers , beaks and talons for use down in the Vale. Erick and Renault have both been very clever in turning them into a series of tools, hooks and other assorted items for the commoners to use. While I am not welcome in Vale City, those two have done me the service of acting as middle man and agent for my own needs. Through them I have acquired the few luxuries for my lair that I have, such as the papyrus, ink and desk I am using now.

The Flaringales have also done me one other service, although it has cost me some blood. Flaringales seldom come near my mountain or me, but just every now and then, a pack of them get bold enough to attack. In defending myself and hunting them, I have learned a great deal about my abilities and tactics in this body. Flying is now so natural that I can scarcely believe that I ever had a doubt about flying. It was by defending myself that I first was able to breathe fire, not that it did anything more than draw them like moths to a flame, no pun intended, but also that I could exhale out a shower of ice or noxious fumes. Desperation makes for a good, if harsh teacher. I have had more than a few cuts, bruises and even broken bones as a result of my teachers. Fortunately I heal quickly, almost unnaturally so. Yet another gift of my draconic nature.

I must admit that I find my mountaintop retreat much more comfortable than anything down in Vale City. My lair suits me well up here on my mountain. It has felt like home ever since I first awoke lying in my cave. I cannot help but wonder, was the cave formed for be? Because of me? Or is it just a coincidence that such a place existed and a lone dragon appeared within. For some reason, given what I have learned of the Vale, I suspect the former over the latter. My home is settled just left of center within the Northern mountain range which makes up the North boundary of Illusion Vale. I am certain that the Valians have started calling it ‘Dragonteeth Mountains’ or some other boring and unimaginative title, but I have begun calling it the Sentinel Range. The Sentinels oversee everything for miles around and have a most impressive view of the valley below them as well as being a natural boundary which keeps the moisture and rain falling into the green Vale and not being scattered by the wasteland beyond. On a clear day I can just make out the edge of Vale City from my spire, three days away, as the Valian walks. I am proud in that my home seems to be the highest peak within the Sentinels. I have given into a bit of vanity and named my mountain Drakonspire. A name that rings with pride, if only because I am the only one who hears it.

Drakonspire is an impressive citadel. A commanding view, even over the other mountains. Few can approach without my noticing them days in advance. There is only one way up the mountain if one does not have wings. The base of the mountain is easy enough to climb, but the spire lives up to its name as the top third of the mountain becomes nearly vertical. Only a single footpath exists, a narrow, zig-zagging and steep path which eventually egresses onto the far edge of the plateau with makes up the landing before the cave entrance. The cliff is wide enough for me to lie out and enjoy the morning sun should I choose, although the mornings are a bit chilled so high up here. The cave entrance reveals a tunnel, which fits a lone dragon comfortably with room to spare. The tunnel curves down and follows the contour of the spire opening up into a cavern below the entrance. To the humanoids of the Vale, it would be a stadium, but for me, it is a comfortable bedroom and receiving room. It is here where keep many of my trophies and nest and contemplate the mysteries of the world around me. I once mentioned that I suspected that Illusion Vale was rich in mineral wealth and the Drakonspire shares this I think. A great vein of clear quartz crystal runs through my mountain, at least through the upper spire. It peeks through the ceiling in several places and has merged with some sort of luminescent material. The phosphorescent glow bathes my entire home with a soft, white light. I can see well enough although I find it easier to read and write with additional light.

About three months ago, I was pleased to discover that my mountain has secrets of its own. I discovered a small hole in the floor in the back recess of my cavern. Intrigued, I broke away a portion of the floor to investigate. While I regret having to damage my bedroom, I do believe it was worth it. I stopped when a six foot hole was cleared. A natural chute opened below, dropping straight down into the darkness. I was forced to alter my shape into a winged man in order to explore and dropped down into the passage. The chute dropped some sixty feet straight down before opening into yet another chamber. Almost spherical, this newest chamber was too small to accommodate my dragon form, but nonetheless, it is beautiful and wondrous. Several veins of white quartz cris-cross the walls of this chamber like lightning bolts, each glowing with the same luminescence as above. A mighty thunderstorm, frozen in stone, on display forever. One stray vein stands out from the white crystal, changing, changing, changing red as blood and coming to a head in the form of a great ruby, uncut and pure and as large as a man’s head. It is beautiful, the Heart of the Mountain, practically pulsating with the heartbeat of the earth all around it. It has become the centerpiece of my lair, my sanctum.

Amid the stalagmites and stalactites of this cavern lay my other treasures. A fitting vault, study, library and place of power. My mountain, my lair, my home.
Back to top Go down
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales
GoldenDrakon

Diary of a Dragon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diary of a Dragon   Diary of a Dragon Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 10:28 pm

I have spent much time criss-crossing the countryside, exploring the expanse of Illusion Vale and while the Vale is indeed green, rich and full of life, I have found no signs of any other settlements aside from Vale City and a few outlying homes and farms. I have traveled from one end of the Vale to the other, from the Sentinel Range to the far hills, along winding rivers and over the lakes, fields and forests but for as lush and wild as the land is, we are still just as isolated within the green as we are beyond in the Wasteland. I have wandered and explored farther than possibly even Wraith has and noted many possible new resources and geographic landmarks but I have no gift for drawing or mapmaking. Only notes scribbled in the margins of several scraps of other notes or scratched into the rocks around me.

Note to self; try and determine if there is anyone with mapping skill among the city populace.

In my explorations, I have located two other places in which I choose to visit aside from my home in DrakonSpire. The first is a wide and barren plateau several miles away and located just beyond the hills on the lip of the Wasteland. There is nothing of particular note there except that the plateau is often bathed in the sun and ripples with heat throughout the heart of the day. I find that I rather enjoy the heat, especially since my home can acquire a bit of chill during the cold and windy winter months. The heat is soothing, relaxing and the plateau is a good place for me to sit, rest, relax and think.

The second place I found before the plateau and is almost its exact opposite; the Coliseum. The name is much more fantastic and grandiose that the place itself. The Coliseum is little more than a carved out recession in a low hill. I suspect that it may have been a stone quarry for Valians in the distant past. In any case, the sloping sides of the recession are tiered much like steps around the open pit area in the center. This center is the deepest point in the quarry, and is now filled with sand, dirt and gravel although the odd boulder does poke out here and there as well. Open on one side and to the sky allows access to and from the center but climbing into the ‘steps’ from the center is also possible although with some effort. Six, ten foot columns flank the open end from the center leading to the outside. From the air, the whole thing looks like a giant C stuck in the center of a hill. Who can say what this place was in ages past, except perhaps the Caretaker, and she is not saying. At least, not to me. Whatever it was, it is now a place where the confused, angry, curious, militant and disillusioned come. It is a place where differences are settled, scores are evened, disagreements worked out and frustration vented.

It is a place where Valians come to fight.

I think that ‘the pit’ was always someplace that the locals always knew about, even if they did not talk openly about it. Every city must have its seedy side I suppose. In any case, many have been coming here to settle things and to be around other, like-minded types. I certainly did not start this little fight club, although many weak-minded fools in the City whisper just that, but perhaps I have made it more popular. Ever since I defeated Ceres, I have become the ‘King of the Pit’ and have much more influence among the others. The practice of betting on the outcome of fights was also always there, but I seem to have made it a much more common occurrence. I am certain that I was the one who began the practice of the combatants offering a wager so that the winner would also earn a prize. It also encourages the phony tough to ‘put up or shut up’ as well as keeping the fights more about competition rather than sheer violence. It was also I who coined the term ‘The Coliseum’ rather that ‘the fighting pit’ or whatever it was called before. A glorified name sure, but the name seems to have garnered more approval from the group than the latter name.

Whatever I call it, the Coliseum has another, much more important use other than winning a few trinkets, hearing a bit of gossip from town or betting in the Vale’s only sporting arena. Many who come here are afraid, upset, angry and despairing. They are compelled to do something, anything. They long to lash out at someone because they feel lost and confused and powerless to do anything about their plight. I know this because I myself know these feelings so well. Together, we help to identify with one another. I have been able to guide many of these confused newcomers in how to be able to act and react without destroying themselves or their surroundings, to understand their new selves and the powers and gifts we have inherited with our new forms and slowly, they are coming to adapt to this new world. Albeit these lessons are often learned through broken bones and split lips, but at least it is a controlled aggression against toughened opponents who can take the abuse. What is most important, many are taking charge of their new lives, rather than drifting without hope or purpose. Some have chosen to stay nearby, some have gone to join the city and others have simply gone on their own way to see what is over the next hill. All of them leave realizing that they are not alone and have a place they can come back to if they want to.

I like this place. I like that these people come to me for help and advice. I like that I am a leader of men again as I was once in another time and place. It is not for the violence or wealth; I do not revel in the debauchery of watching blood sports or lust for riches I can take from those weaker than I. No, the Coliseum serves a greater purpose than any of that. Here I am listened to and respected. Here I am accepted for what I can do and what I am, even if some of them do not understand that the Winged Man in the Pit and the Dragon in the Mountains are one in the same. Here, I am the one who holds sway over the group and directs and instructs those who come to me. Here, I am the Caretaker.

And I fear that there are those in Vale City who will be terrified of this change.
Back to top Go down
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales
GoldenDrakon

Diary of a Dragon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diary of a Dragon   Diary of a Dragon Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 7:54 am

I have learned of a new and disturbing possibility, an epiphany as it were and in doing so, I think I have glimpsed into the dark side of this Illusion Vale. I came to this revelation only yesterday, after successfully defending my title against a new arrival in the arena.

His name is Toby and in the Vale, he is an ogre. Standing just under eight feet tall and wrapped in muscle, he practically extrudes intimidation. Toby came to us only about a week ago. He is a young man from 20th century Earth, as so many of us are. I have garnered enough information from speaking with him and speaking with others who have interacted with him to learn that he was not a popular individual and often ridiculed and/or shunned by his peers. My own observations tell me that he is insecure, immature and socially awkward and his transformation has not helped this. I believe that Toby was either mistreated or bullied, perhaps both, in his old life. Now, here in the Vale, he has been given all that he wished for in his old life; strength, power, endurance, the ability to do what he never could before and the chance to be the bully instead of the bullied.

Toby wasted no time in finding the Coliseum. Flushed with his newfound power, he was full of bravado and eager to prove his superiority. I can sympathize with some of these feelings; I myself have occasionally entertained thoughts of punishing the citizens of Vale City for their cruelty towards me. I do not of course, but Toby lacks the maturity to temper these impulses and instead revels in his ability to dominate and punish. In any case, Toby arrived at the Coliseum ready to fight. He was thwarted somewhat by our self imposed rule of offering a wager in order to challenge; Toby had nothing of real value to wager.

He returned three days later and offered a drinking horn. This polished horn was some six inches long, fixed with a copper base and lipped with copper, set with five red agates. While I was slightly concerned with the possibility of how Toby had acquired the horn, it was well admired by the crowd and I admit, by myself. Seeing the interest his horn had made, Toby then did something foolish and arrogant…he challenged me as King of the Pit. I suggested that he choose another member as his first duel to build his experience, but Toby would not be dissuaded. I reluctantly agreed, matching my skinning knife against his cup and entered the pit. Toby is incredibly strong and has great endurance. His very skin is like toughened leather, but he knows nothing of combat or fighting. Neither does he know or understand his own self yet.

I beat him in less than five minutes.

Toby remains with us more often than not and we try to teach him more constructive outlets for his feelings, but in reflection upon his situation, I made my startling revelation. I once speculated on why we become what we become once we enter the vale. I still think that this is no random occurrence, but instead a reflection of what we see within ourselves, what we secretly wish to be. In Toby’s case, it made him an ogre to reflect his desire to be strong enough to torment his tormentors. But what if Toby had truly been a bully and tormentor? What will happen when Illusion Vale draws in someone whos inner self is truly despicable, cruel or malicious? What will happen when some villain or criminal is plucked from whatever world they originate from and plop down here and becomes a real monster?

These dark reflections concern me. New inhabitants are flooding into the Vale with increasing frequency and it has become evident that Wraith cannot keep up with this surge. With so many diverse people, places and backgrounds being plucked, seemingly at random, and transported here; I fear it is only a matter of time before my reflections may be brought into the light.

Last edited by GoldenDrakon on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales
GoldenDrakon

Diary of a Dragon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diary of a Dragon   Diary of a Dragon Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 4:22 am

The second anniversary of my awakening in the Illusion Vale has come and gone and I do not know who I am anymore. To say I do not remember who I was would be more accurate, but it does not change the fact that I think I have become something else and it confuses me. There are fragments and snippets of memories that peek through the clutter of my mind from my old world and my old life. What is more confusing, is that knowledge remains, but the circumstances of knowing what I know does not fit what I remember is my life. I know how to manage things and organize people, I know historical bits about Earth, I know how to cook and I know how to budget. None of this fits my life and memories as a dragon. They are just fragments stuck in the grey areas of my head.

It is not only my memories that have changed. My habits, my instincts, my very nature had changed since my arrival. There are times when I hate to stop and think, ‘did I really just do that?’ My actions do not always coincide with the ideals I remember were important to me, or they are completely foreign to what I remember. I confess that my eye has been drawn to shiny gemstones and beautiful things more than a few times. I like the thought of winning prizes and uncovering treasures. I enjoy being surrounded by my trophies, each one of them having a story behind them, each having a place and purpose. Strangely, I do not ever remember being so covetous. I vaguely remember collecting coins, stamps and other odds and ends, but I do not recall this need to engage in a magpie like need to collect treasures. In fact I seem to recall being rather thrifty because we had limited funds. I like to fight and whichever form I choose, I am good at it. I like the thrill of combat, the domination my opponents and demonstration of my superiority both personally as well as my ability to lead a fighting force. This disturbs me more than any of my newest personality changes. I do not like to hurt people, fight yes, but not hurt. I can remember that I never wanted to fight; I know the horrors of war. I can remember fragments of blood and death. Terrible fighting and evil people, yes I know war.

I digress. Simply put, I am changing and I am not sure if I like some of these changes. A part of me says; ‘this is what dragons do’, but even if that is true, am I not more than just the sum of my parts? Isn’t there still a part of me that remains from that other place and life? This is what dragons do? Says who? I am the only dragon in the whole of the Illusion Vale. Not even Wraith has even heard of the possibility of their ever having ever been another of my kind. Yet in spite of my singular existence, I know, I just know draconic lore, history and nature. The dreams and visions have taught me much and there has been far too much accuracy and insight to simply discount these dreams as delusions or madness. The dreams teach me and they whisper of more to come. I am changing, the nature of Illusion Vale is changing and the people entering into the Vale are changing as well. This worries me. Experience has taught that with great change comes great turmoil. There are dangerous and interesting times ahead.

All I can do is prepare…and wait.
Back to top Go down
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales
GoldenDrakon

Diary of a Dragon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diary of a Dragon   Diary of a Dragon Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 4:40 am

Things continue to evolve throughout the Vale, as things are wont to do. The massive influx of newcomers seems to have ebbed, leaving the population of Illusion Vale at over 1200 people. Many of whom have never met Wraith, their Lady Monarch. There have been many changes throughout Vale City and the Vale as a whole. Wraith’s concept of implementing currency has come about. With the distribution of gold, copper and silverite coins to the populace, commerce and capitalism has begun to exert themselves. Vale City has undergone rapid and drastic growth in both physical size and in social structure. There are new laws, overseen by appointed magistrates and enforced by a defense force, hand selected and sworn to serve Illusion Vale and Wraith. Wraith has gone ahead and had herself appointed at the ruler of the Illusion Vale. In truth, she was already the informal leader of the Vale as the oldest and the most powerful being present (the most powerful save for perhaps myself) as well as being so very popular among the populace. At least to Wraith’s credit, she has kept the title of ‘Caretaker’ as opposed to something more designatory of a Monarch. My greatest concern is that Jochen, that fox-faced rat of an advisor, has been named as ‘Lord Sentinel’ and Wraith’s right hand. This does not bode well for my little band of non-conformists and for me in particular. It is no secret that Jochen sees Dragon’s Hollow as a threat to Vale City and his authority.

Naturally, such events lead from one change to another. With the influx of people, a score or more of new enterprises have sprung up throughout Vale City. Luxuries and novelty items have started appearing, even among my own hamlet of Dragon’s Hollow. Furniture, jewelry, clothing and other personal effects have all had greater varieties and styles than I have ever seen. Those who have the means and money have begun to demonstrate trends of ‘fashion’ and ‘style’. I understand there is even a brewery and tavern opening somewhere in the city. I am amused somewhat by their posturing, although I suppose by their setting of trends and fashion, they set the standards for what is valuable among the populace. I wonder how long before the ‘aristocracy’, ‘nobility’ and the ‘social elite’ begin to exert themselves. In any case, the implementation of currency, capitalism and the monarchy, has given rise to the Guilds. A collection of like-minded people and shops who attempt to set policies and the like. So far, there have been three such collectives, the merchants, who are self-explanatory. The military, which is not really a guild, but still, they are a unified group calling themselves ‘The Protectors’, even if they are subservient to the wills of the government. Finally, there are the explorers; a group of Valians who are dedicated to learning more about their world and themselves. At least this group I can relate with and respect, but I am again amused at some of their efforts. For example, they have started a library, gathering the history of the Vale. Yet I have already learned that what the Valians offer as ‘history’ is subject to an ‘authorized’ version. I would be interested to see what might happen if the truth of events were revealed. No, the mysterious Caretaker of the Vale is no angel and I suspect there is even more dirt out there than I have discovered.

Vale City has expanded as well. Jochen and his ministers have made good use of the new laws and people, and made Vale City into a well organized and proper city. Although I greatly dislike the man, I will not say he is stupid. This serves all the Valians well as nearly 90 percent or more of all Valians live in or around the city. There are some outreaching settlements, some ‘suburbs’ of the city, but all are still called a part of the city proper. While I know of some possible ideas and plans for new settlements, only my own Dragon’s Hollow sits outside the city borders, Wraith’s laws or Jochen’s influence. This presents me with several problems. While I was able to barter a share of the currency that Wraith offered all Valian’s when currency was implemented, we have much less involvement with Vale City markets and enterprises. We have coin, but much less of it comes into our coffers than goes out. If we are not careful, we will become paupers or servants to those with coin to offer. Dragon’s Hollow has but one real attraction, the Coliseum, but I will not let it become a commodity for blood-sports. This is against the reasons for which I made for it and I will not allow it to degenerate into gladiatorial slaughter for a screaming mob. Without the Coliseum, there is not much for my Drake Valians to offer the City Valians. We still sell our foodstuffs, furs, lumber and such for coin or trade, but they do not need these things. The City Valians can charge whatever the wish or impose whatever rules, fees or regulations the Merchant Guild wants and there is little we can do about it. Such incidences have been few and very minor, both because of the still shaky position of the new city structure and also because of the somewhat dark reputation of the Drake Valians and their wicked dragon overseer.

Clearly, we need to have something that they do not and need in such an abundance that they cannot risk cheating us. I think that I have the solution for this, but it will not be easy. I have discovered a deposit of coarse rock salt and it seems to be of a sizable amount. If we can claim and secure it, we will be able to mine and provide salt for the entire Vale. The difficulty lies in that this salt deposit lays some two days march into the Wasteland. The prospect of marching out there, establishing a base came, starting a mining operation and then returning with the salt rock it daunting to say the least. Still, the up side of this difficulty is in that the City Valians have virtually zero chance of securing an alternative source for salt. With so many enterprises and citizens in the vale now, salt will become as precious as gold, possibly more so. It is for exactly that reason that we must gain this economic edge. If we do not, then we risk becoming a community of ‘Do Nots’. We do not have a viable means of providing for ourselves, we do not have a source of independent income, we do not have the ability to provide for a better future, we do not have a reasonable choice to do as we wish and maintain a strong standard of living for ourselves. We would become an independent colony of tag-alongs, struggling to make ends meet and we would surely be at the mercy of the ‘Dos’, who I doubt would have much trouble of making use of expendable servants and lackeys out of ‘outsiders’.

And so, into the harsh Wastelands we go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Diary of a Dragon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diary of a Dragon   Diary of a Dragon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Diary of a Dragon
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Illusion Vale :: Universes :: Wanderings-
Jump to: