Illusion Vale
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Illusion Vale

A place where writers go to make their visions come alive.

HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Movie Discussion

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wraith
Lady Illusion
Wraith

Female Number of posts : 2187

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 8:22 am

I'd like to start up a Movie discussion thread. These can be the latest movies, old favourites or even hated movies. All it requires is a short synopsis and what you thought of it.

Coming to my mind right now is the latest Iron Man movie. I went with Shadow to see it at the cinema's and was actually rather impressed with what I saw.

Shadow's grown up with the comics so he was a real fan and assured me that it was pretty true to what he knew. So they didn't really screw with the basic Iron Man premise. It was a full two hour movie (which is nice seeing as most movies these days are a paltry 1 hour 40 minute thing) and Robert Downey Jr is surprisingly good in this role.

The movie portrays the life of rich entrepreneur Tony Stark. (ALERT SPOILERS) One day, on a weapons demonstration, he is kidnapped by hostile forces in what we assume to be a middle eastern country. He is then forced to build his latest weapon, and instead builds a suit with the help of a fellow prisoner to escape.

Once back in civilisation, Stark faces the truth about his company's doings and proceeds to shut down the weapons factories and instead focuses on more 'helpful' technologies. In secret he begins to improve on his ealier suit and soon becomes Iron Man.

I'll leave the rest of the storyline to those that have and will watch it.

I would thoroughly recommend seeing this movie. It was completely believable, while at the same time achieving the 'suspension of belief' that movies are supposed to do these days.

All in all Five out Five stars.

Here's a wiki page for Iron Man in all his glory and incarnations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man

And here's a page from the Internet Movie Database about the movie itself:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371746/
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Lady Illusion
Wraith

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 3:42 pm

Okay... so most of us play games, watch TV shows and read books....

Does no-one watch Movies?
Back to top Go down
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales
GoldenDrakon

Male Number of posts : 1586

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 10:22 pm

I'm married, have a four year old boy and am a Seargent for the Air Force;

What's a 'movie'? Razz

I think the last movie I saw in a theater was "Horton hears a Who" for reasons stated above.
Back to top Go down
Kalika
Youngling
Youngling
Kalika

Female Number of posts : 28

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 6:10 am

I would have to agree with GoldenDrakon,

I have almost 4 year old twins, im currently living in the middle of nowhere while my partner/kids dad lives in the city during the week to work and comes home on weekends so we can save up to be able to afford rent in the city!

so i havent seen a movie in ages...well at the movies, but i have seen lots on video, does that count? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Akaron Corvus
First Knight and Lore Master
Akaron Corvus

Male Number of posts : 689

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 7:00 am

i've done pretty well this summer with movies, i saw prince caspian, indiana jones, iron man, the incredible hulk and a few others. I fortunately am 20 with no kids nor woman to tie me down, so i can do mostly as i please.
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Lady Illusion
Wraith

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 12:40 pm

Well, honestly, I can't see the movies that often either, stretching the pennies can be hard on a woman *sigh*....

But anyway, DVD's/Videos etc do ALL count.

So, another question then, since everybody's balking,

What your favourite ALL TIME movie?

(that should get a better response Very Happy and I won't show you mine until you show me yours!)
Back to top Go down
Akaron Corvus
Akaron Corvus

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 2:24 pm

gangs of new york, boondock saints, patton or casablanca
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Lady Illusion
Wraith

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 5:31 pm

Akaron Corvus wrote:
gangs of new york, boondock saints, patton or casablanca

I see a pattern emerging....
Back to top Go down
Akaron Corvus
Akaron Corvus

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 7:58 am

i could see a pattern in the first two, and the only connection i catch in the others is world war two
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Lady Illusion
Wraith

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 10:19 am

I meant that sort of dramatic military type of movie. That was the pattern I saw. Real dramatic stuff that moved you. Very Happy

You're such a softie... I had no idea!! *grin*

Well, I suppose since someone took the bait, I'll show you mine.

My all time favourite has to the Alien Quadrilogy. But... there are so many fantastic movies out there that I can't really narrow it down to one. Or even a few.

Every time I think of one, I'll let you know.

Oh... I just remembered:
Batman Begins
Chronicles of Riddick
Van Helsing
Constantine
Bedazzled (Brendan Fraser version)
Most of Adam Sandler's movies
.... erm....

I think I'll stop there before I start to name my entire DVD collection. (its in the hundreds!)
Back to top Go down
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales
GoldenDrakon

Male Number of posts : 1586

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 1:41 pm

Wraith wrote:
Well, honestly, I can't see the movies that often either, stretching the pennies can be hard on a woman *sigh*....

But anyway, DVD's/Videos etc do ALL count.

So, another question then, since everybody's balking,

What your favourite ALL TIME movie?

All time favorites... hmmm,

Excalibur, Dragonheart, Blackhawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, We Were Soldiers are probably the first out of the gate.
Back to top Go down
Akaron Corvus
Akaron Corvus

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 11:08 am

i LOVED dragonheart, my old name (draganchroi) which is still my handle on other places is irish for dragonheart
Back to top Go down
Akaron Corvus
Akaron Corvus

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 11:10 am

and keep the softie thing to yourself lass, i got a reputation to uphold. lol. but seriously, i think i am the only 20 year old man i know who has casablanca among his best movies of all time. Bogart is just so awesome in it, so cool and unflappable until she walks in and he's thrown for a loop. It how ive felt many many times.
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Lady Illusion
Wraith

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 6:19 pm

I agree with you. Bogart was the kind of man that women dreamed of. He was so tough and wordly... and went all giddy for the girl of his dreams. Exactly how we like you guys! Very Happy

Also... Dragonheart has to be one of my favourites too! To be honest, if someone throws a movie at me and asks, I'll give you my opinion. But, if they ask me for a movie myself... I'm almost always - like- Ummmm.....

LOL
Back to top Go down
Akaron Corvus
Akaron Corvus

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 1:16 pm

I recently returned from the midnight showing of The Dark Knight. I would like to start my review thus

DONT BOTHER!!!!

IF YOUR A MORON

all jokes aside, this is probably the best superhero movie ever made, and definitely the finest batman movie. Heath Ledger, the late Aussie Phenom, was incredible as the joker, and i can see why he needed therapy after playing the role. Christian Bale puts on another, even better performance as the Dark Knight himself, and Aaron Eckhart's Harvey Dent was very powerful. There was some very dark humor, but it was mostly a psychotic ride into the madness of the human mind.

See it immediately, or be purged.
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Lady Illusion
Wraith

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 5:51 pm

OOoooooh! I soooo wanna see that! I'm hoping I get to see it next week. I REALLY want to see it in the cinema and I know Shadow's really looking forward to it too.

I agree... but just IMO - I think that Heath's involvement has been blown out of proportions. I mean, the guy died. No need to make an entire movie out of it. In fact... I thought the main character was Christian Bale. Anyway, nothing against the guy, I just think the movie companies are milking it too much.

No doubt he did great, but that's what Heath did. Great things. People should've realised that by now. I mean... I've been a fan for years. YEARS.
Back to top Go down
Akaron Corvus
Akaron Corvus

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 8:47 pm

I understand what your saying, and i too have enjoyed Heath for years, but I'd definitely say Heath's Performance was one of the finest i've ever seen.
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Lady Illusion
Wraith

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 4:16 pm

*nods* I'm hoping to see it soon, so we shall see, but I don't doubt you one bit Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Lady Illusion
Wraith

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 6:11 pm

Well, needless to say, I saw the film. Saw Heath's performance and it wasn't all hype. Great stuff.

Onto other news, has anybody seen the new Transporter movie? I quite liked it - felt it was better than the last too, though the girl was hard to understand most of the time. More storyline - good action - but god. What the hell did Jason Stratham do to his body? Ick!

Even other news, anybody eagerly awaiting the new Star Trek movie?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Movie Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Discussion   Movie Discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Movie Discussion
Page 1 of 1