Illusion Vale
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Illusion Vale

A place where writers go to make their visions come alive.

HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Welcome Ainsley

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales
GoldenDrakon

Male Number of posts : 1586

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 9:48 am

Bout time you came around Smile

Welcome to our little slice of quasi-reality.

Last edited by Wraith on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just letting Ainsley have an 'e' :))
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Lady Illusion
Wraith

Female Number of posts : 2187

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 10:06 am

YAYYYYYYY!!!

*jumps up and down for the newcomer*

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!

*a little more dignified*

Would you like some pie?
Back to top Go down
The House of Ainsley
Keeper of the Dark Mirror
The House of Ainsley

Male Number of posts : 2312

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 4:36 am

Hey, I'm all about pie. Lemon meringue in particular. Very Happy

Sorry about taking so long to get over here, but I finally made it. I'm one of GoldenDrakon's crazy old friends from the Air Force days, and I was hosting a half-breed "D&D 3.25" campaign over on these forums before the game fizzled out from lack of interest. A forum game from the swords-and-sorcery genre trying to survive on a forum dedicated to the superhero genre...yeah, I should have seen that train coming. Neutral

But I finally took the invitation and came over, and I brought Akamaz with me. That's him playing Corwin Ainsley, the bastard son of an outcast Ainsley noblewoman and an unknown father (whose identity he can only guess...but his guesses are getting narrowed down towards certainty, despite his mother's wishes). After betraying his cruel and overbearing mother and imprisoning her in the cellar beneath their hovel, Corwin set out on his own and became a privateer, and then a trader...and, perhaps soon, a pirate who lives and dies about fifty years before the present time of the campaign.

If it's all right with you two, I would love to make a complete transition over here, starting with the transfers of the campaign's character creation resources for any new players who wish to join in. And Akamaz and I can copy-paste our posts from Corwin's prologue chapter (Chapter Zero: The Devils of Tides, a chapter in progress), which should give any new players a chance to catch up with Akamaz. And yes, that's me as The Widowed, the name of my flagship superheroine from the City of Heroes/Villains MMOG.

I also fine-tuned and prettied up the House of Ainsley's family tree, so that any newcoming players can better decide where in the family tree they want their characters to be...which relations, which generation and such. Yes, it's possible to create and play characters who lived centuries before the campaign's present time. Yes, the player-characters will eventually be united together, along with various others from the family tree, past and present. Take from this what you will. Twisted Evil

(I'm trying to be mum about the House of Ainsley's ultimate fate this time around, but that may or may not hold up for very long. I'll hold off on transferring some of the resource topics over, just to see how long I can suspend the suspense.... Wink )

Anyhoo, if it's all right with all y'alls, where would you like me to re-begin with the story? And do folks here tend to prefer the warrior types, the mage types or the sneaky types? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GoldenDrakon
Weaver of Tales
GoldenDrakon

Male Number of posts : 1586

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 5:35 am

*chuckles*

Ainsley, you do realize that it is doubtful that anyone will know anything about what you are saying...

Anyhoo, as crappy as it might be, you may wish to consider starting over.... PM myself or Wraith for more discussion on this.
Back to top Go down
The House of Ainsley
The House of Ainsley

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:09 am

Ah, but you know me. I'm all about baby-stepping new players through a game system they might not be familiar. You remember how I walked you guys through your first GURPS and Marvel Superheroesvillains characters, right? Wink

And sometimes, I even integrate the baby-stepping as part of the prologue or introductory adventure. I learned that from playing Morrowind. It's a lot more seamless that way. Very Happy

Hmm...but you were wanting to set up your own forum D&D campaign, weren't you? Neutral

Hmm.

Parallel universes, anyone? Idea
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Lady Illusion
Wraith

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 1:33 pm

And GD is right...

Most of that wonderful information just flew over my head. But I'm happy to oblige and give you this: *Lemon Meringue*

About your story - its fantastic the level of your enthusiasm, but as GD has stated... well, the creation of a game on your part would be a fine addition to this humble community. And I'm sure that Baby Stepping would definitely needed, unfortunately.

GD is a little more clued in, so speaking to him about it might be fruitful.

As for different games running, there should be no problem, but again, this is new territory for this forum, so it may take some time to get things running.

And so far, people have been playing the Warrior type roles in RPs. A few Mage-like appearances... but alas, not many.
Back to top Go down
S.E.A.M.U.S
Valian
Valian
S.E.A.M.U.S

Male Number of posts : 356

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 pm

corwin is... well.. he's corwin. I'll be assisting umm.. the house of ainsley (damn that's cumbersome wids.. how we gonna make a nickname outta that?)

also, is it possible to change your username on this forum? since i expect i'll be posting mostly as Corwin Ainsley, i'd like to change my username to that. do the mods have that capability?
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Lady Illusion
Wraith

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 11:26 am

Sure do, just send me a PM requesting change of details and I'll get on it.

I expect though, that once you start posting some more, if you wish to do some other things - it probably might not be a good idea to change your name again. But now's fine, seeing as you're new here.
Back to top Go down
The House of Ainsley
The House of Ainsley

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 9:44 am

Wraith wrote:
And GD is right...

Most of that wonderful information just flew over my head. But I'm happy to oblige and give you this: *Lemon Meringue*
Huttah! Very Happy

Wraith wrote:
About your story - its fantastic the level of your enthusiasm, but as GD has stated... well, the creation of a game on your part would be a fine addition to this humble community. And I'm sure that Baby Stepping would definitely needed, unfortunately.
That would be pretty simple, actually. First, I'd set up a topic where interested players could sign up (similar to a topic which formerly existed on the CoHGuru forums but has since ceased to exist). To facilitate things, I'd include topics featuring all the campaign's available Classes, Alignments and Races to move things along and give the potential players an idea of what they would like to play before they sign in. Then I would generate three sets of Abilities (ye olde Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma) for each newcoming player; the player could then pick one set for his or her character and swap any two Ability scores to match his or her liking. (Players whose characters are part of the Ainsley family tree--by blood and/or by marriage--would take this time to review the family tree and choose their places in it; this will have a bearing on the character's fate after the House of Ainsley falls in a great and hitherto unnamed disaster....)

Then I would plunk down some topics for the selection of Skills, Feats, bonus Languages and starting equipment items; players could then pick and choose whatever suits their tastes and their character concepts. These lists would remain standing for future reference in the campaign; just because a character can't have the Endure Sunlight feat at character creation doesn't mean that the character couldn't acquire the Feat (after first being transformed into a vampire or a wight) later.

And then I would wrap everything up neatly and tidily in a Directory topic, for current and future reference. And I swear, I might actually finish working on all of these topics this time.... Cool

Simple, yes? Wink

Wraith wrote:
As for different games running, there should be no problem, but again, this is new territory for this forum, so it may take some time to get things running.

And so far, people have been playing the Warrior type roles in RPs. A few Mage-like appearances... but alas, not many.
No problem. Warriors make the world go around (usually by acting as the speed bumps between their mage buddies and the angry colossal beasties coming at them...). Shocked
Back to top Go down
S.E.A.M.U.S
Valian
Valian
S.E.A.M.U.S

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 9:26 pm

a question for you HoA, would i still be using Corwin a is, or would he be rerolled?
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Lady Illusion
Wraith

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 6:32 am

The House of Ainsley wrote:

That would be pretty simple, actually. First, I'd set up a topic where interested players could sign up (similar to a topic which formerly existed on the CoHGuru forums but has since ceased to exist). To facilitate things, I'd include topics featuring all the campaign's available Classes, Alignments and Races to move things along and give the potential players an idea of what they would like to play before they sign in. Then I would generate three sets of Abilities (ye olde Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma) for each newcoming player; the player could then pick one set for his or her character and swap any two Ability scores to match his or her liking. (Players whose characters are part of the Ainsley family tree--by blood and/or by marriage--would take this time to review the family tree and choose their places in it; this will have a bearing on the character's fate after the House of Ainsley falls in a great and hitherto unnamed disaster....)

Then I would plunk down some topics for the selection of Skills, Feats, bonus Languages and starting equipment items; players could then pick and choose whatever suits their tastes and their character concepts. These lists would remain standing for future reference in the campaign; just because a character can't have the Endure Sunlight feat at character creation doesn't mean that the character couldn't acquire the Feat (after first being transformed into a vampire or a wight) later.

And then I would wrap everything up neatly and tidily in a Directory topic, for current and future reference. And I swear, I might actually finish working on all of these topics this time.... Cool

Simple, yes? Wink

Quite... but generally we call them OOC (Out Of Character) topics and usually use just the one thread for them, or risk cluttering the forum up. Especially since we're going to have several games running.
Back to top Go down
The House of Ainsley
The House of Ainsley

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:22 am

S.E.A.M.U.S wrote:
a question for you HoA, would i still be using Corwin a is, or would he be rerolled?
Corwin has worked out pretty well as a character so far. Why change him now? Smile

I do remember you posting that he was Lawful Evil at one point and Neutral Evil at another, though. Which did you finally decide to go with? Either would make sense, given his overbearing mother and the rest of his background. Lawful Evil pirate captains aren't the most common (with Chaotic Evil captains leading the numbers and with Neutral Evil captains and Chaotic Neutral captains not far behind), but you can bet their crews would be pretty well organized and effective (even if pirates, being the free spirits that they tend to be, would grumble and threaten mutiny now and then...). But a Lawful Evil band of pirates would be less a scraggly band of rabble and more a small paramilitary band of naval terrorists or insurgents with standards of service, an established system of meritocratic dominance and perhaps even a determined code of honor, as far as I see.

Neutral Evil would be the happy medium, of course, with some inevitable discord in the ranks and with Corwin both establishing hardline rules and ruling through "might makes right" (and at times tweaking or breaking his own rules, even if only on a whim) in roughly equal measure. It's up to you. Smile

Wraith wrote:
Quite... but generally we call them OOC (Out Of Character) topics and usually use just the one thread for them, or risk cluttering the forum up. Especially since we're going to have several games running.
So I'd have to find a way to condense all the resource topics into one topic, then? I'd definitely have to edit in a Table of Contents in the first post, just to keep the topic itself from getting unmanageably cluttered. I think I can do that, though.
Back to top Go down
S.E.A.M.U.S
Valian
Valian
S.E.A.M.U.S

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:59 pm

either that or ask politely for a DnD section to post resources and such.
Back to top Go down
The House of Ainsley
The House of Ainsley

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 6:38 am

Hmmm...there's a thought. Common resource topics for two (or more) D&D 3.X games. Not a bad concept. What would our rednames here think about that?
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Lady Illusion
Wraith

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 5:58 pm

Wouldn't having their own sections (for more than one game) also be a little confusing?

I've been running a game on a forum for a few years and what I thought did the trick was editing my first post. It has all of the information that I've added to the thread, complete with a list of contents that links the clicker to that particular post. Granted, you can only use so many characters in a post - so post secondly and thirdly to give yourself enough room.

If you keep within your own threads, there shouldn't be too much mess or confusion. (as I understand, each game will be different storylines, though the same rules)

However, making a forum specifically for our DnD games could be possible as well - we'll see what Golden Drakon has to say about it.
Back to top Go down
Wraith
Lady Illusion
Wraith

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 5:59 pm

Don't forget Ainsley that not only are you putting up resource topics for your games, but also allowing OOC discussion between the players.
Back to top Go down
The House of Ainsley
The House of Ainsley

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 2:41 am

Wraith wrote:
However, making a forum specifically for our DnD games could be possible as well - we'll see what Golden Drakon has to say about it.
That's pretty much what the CoHGuru site did. The RPG forum kept the forum games separated from the "mainstream" stuff (the superhero topics and such), while the subforums within that forum were good for keeping the forum games separated from each other, so that my House of Ainsley campaign wouldn't cross the streams with someone else's Champions campaign and all the rest.

Wraith wrote:
Don't forget Ainsley that not only are you putting up resource topics for your games, but also allowing OOC discussion between the players.
I did that before, too. Unfortunately, the "OOC Banter" thread was one of the casualties when they redid the forums over there, so that annoyed me a bit. Neutral

Anyhow, I'll get to work on these topics tomorrow and see what I can come up with. Hurray for days off! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Welcome Ainsley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Ainsley   Welcome Ainsley Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Welcome Ainsley
Page 1 of 1